On behalf of clients, in relation to clinical negligence and personal injury, including high value cerebral palsy matters and cases involving serious brain injury, Neil has acted primarily for claimants although he has experience of acting on instructions from an employer’s liability insurer in a substantial number of cases involving industrial injury. Examples of recent cases as mediator include:
- A dispute in which the claimant, who had learning disabilities, was allegedly subjected to ill treatment and negligent care while and impatient at one of the defendant’s hospitals.
- A dispute arises out of admitted negligence by the Defendant resulting in the death of the Claimant’s adult daughter where there are claims both under the Law Reform Act and the Fatal Accidents Act, including for a dependency for the deceased’s young daughter where the claim exceeded £600,000.
- Complaint regarding birth of severely disabled child where the amount in dispute was £2m.
- A dispute arising from the death of a patient due to failure to carry out abdominal surgery correctly and failure to refer to specialist surgeons where the amount in dispute was £400,000.
- A dispute relating to the death of a child where liability, causation and quantum were in dispute where the amount claimed exceeded £100,000.
- Complaint by a patient of negligence by a general surgeon resulting in a permanent disability.